<$BlogRSDURL$>

2005-04-25

Meme 

Alex, the Yorkshire Ranter, saves me from my "now that I'm getting serious about politics, what should I blog"-phase with one of those glitzy meme things for us that are proud of knowing so many books that we can choose five for a lonely island. So here I go:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

My memory is bad, so a short one: Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho.
Alternatively, Robert Walser, Der Gehülfe, a magic and sensitive portrayal of a simple and fragile man at the beginning of the 20th century.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

No, and I don't talk about such things in my blog.

The last book you bought is:

Juli Zeh, Spieltrieb - a new novel by the young German shooting-star, apparently about the precarious basis of morality "in our time", told at the example of two overwhelmingly intelligent teenagers. Good but I'm still stuck before the middle.

The last book you read:

David K. Shipler, The Working Poor - Invisible in America. Balanced case studies, facts, sad personal accounts. Impressively researched.

Five books you would take to a desert island:

Something by Kafka..Amerika, then. Open, fragmentary, poetic, existential.
That Marcel Proust thing, in French to keep me busy for a long, long time.
A Martin Walser-novel I haven't read - life stories told from unusual, lowly perspectives.
Two collected works to make it five: Hilary Putnam, John Rawls. It might be useful to know about reality, and how to behave in it should I ever return to society.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

sauseschritt, who doesn't like some of the more shallow aspects of blogging ;-)

Austroblogger, because he keeps complaining about having too little work to do

TH of Wos waas a Fremda, because I get the impression that he has read a lot that I should know about


7 comments:

Georg, I searched my site! You were thinking of three others, right?
Thing is I have way too much work but a habit of procrastinating, so I'll take the meme.

So did you really decide to take the plunge? And why does that stop you being political on the blog?
 

It's not a plunge, rather like strolling leisurely into the shallow waters of a beach at the northern Adriatic - decision, welcome, inclusion in a working group on a topic that interests me. To be recommended. It certainly won't stop me being political on the blog, it's just about finding a slightly more constructive, but by all means non-propagandistic perspective.
 

So you've noticed that too.
I have about 25 posts waiting to be written that won't write because I keep thinking "Well try to turn this out of a Rant and into a positive statement." Until I can do that, I need to stay clear of party politics.
Good Luck - Austro
 

working on it...
 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 

done.
 

After we paid for our kids summer camp minnesota we found it tough to recover! I totally agree with you!
 
Post a Comment

Back to Main Page
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?