<$BlogRSDURL$>

2004-11-23

Revolution observer in action 

I should mention, regarding the situation in Ukraine, that the string of revolutions in 1989 were a defining moment for my own political worldview. When I see the pattern reoccur, I'm politically excited and enthusiastic like many. I'm also aware that not every revolution is as straightforward as the velvet one was in Prague. Even in 1989 there was the shady case of Romania, and later events such as in 1997 in Albania and in 2003 in Georgia looked simple only in retrospect, when history was written with the voice of the new power. In all three cases, the revolutions turned out to be beneficial inspite of their possibly murky interior workings. The revolutionary fog is all the thicker when information levels are low. And so, concerning Ukraine, I'm saying - now - that although my sympathies are clearly with the pro-Western camp, I'm not ready to reach any conclusions. This has the added benefit that once this is over, my position will look foolish no matter which side will have won.

Meanwhile, I continue to follow the exciting coverage on Neeka's Backlog.


1 comments:

I got an email from a friend today, who's been living in Lwiw for over a year now, and he's telling a few very interesting details about the election and the protests. They obviously used translucent urns for voting, and there was no envelope in which to put your voting slip. At one university, a rector actually stood next to that urn as students put their votes in.
Regarding the protests, loads of people are travelling into Kiev to protest, which is actually quite difficult because militia is randomnly stopping cars and they are unloading sand on the big roads into Kiev, blocking off traffic. But overall, the mood is optimistic and hopeful.
gibarian
 
Post a Comment

Back to Main Page
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?