<$BlogRSDURL$>

2004-08-27

N'KISI TV presenta [sample issue] 

Only the most persistent readers of this blog will remember N'kisi, the grey parrot, who made it to the global media because of his fabulous language skills. It is not clear however whether he really understands the things he says or whether he just, well, parrots. This blog will from now on host reports syndicated from a previously unknown media outlet called N'KISI TV in irregular intervals. N'KISI TV claims that their feathered staff can write blog posts that are typical for any of the blogs on the Ostracised-blogroll. I don't believe that for a second, but they offered to produce a take on this very blog as a door-opener (see below), and based on this sample issue I gave them a contract, at least preliminarily. So if you are on my blogroll, be warned. If you aren't, be warned all the same.


[Ostracised from Österreich] I have noticed lately that nobody but me takes Austrian politics as seriously as it deserves to be taken, presumably for existential reasons that have to do with the most unbearable aspects of the human condition. This led me to a reevaluation of several principles of Western thought, and I am pleased to report that I have been able to achieve a number of important breakthroughs in amateur political thought, each of which can be sketched inconsistently in no more than thousand words apiece, a task which I have kindly taken on my shoulders for the benefit of you, yes you over there, dear interested reader. Take any historical period, say the 90’s, with which I am supremely familiar from first-hand experience because, importantly, I was already born then, and, let it be mentioned, I was younger and even smarter than today. In a spirit of utmost neutrality we can look at any political party during that period, say, the Greens, in an arbitrary country, say Austria, and deduce conclusions of universal and earth-shattering importance from our observations. Yet today I want to touch on an unusual topic for this blog, namely the issue of Austrian attitudes to the neighbouring countries. I can clearly remember the time in 1989 and early 1990 when tens of thousands of Romanians were waiting at the Austrian borders for entry into this country. Of course in retrospect I am in favor of their free and immediate entry. Yet when I equally take into consideration the understandable fears of the underpriviledged classes, I must say that a fair policy at that time would have been to deny entry to these would-be immigrants only on humanitarian grounds, and in a spirit of moral sorrow and Weltschmerz. A transparent communication of these deep and honourable feelings and sensibilities would have been of the highest importance back then, and no party met this test, although the Greens could and would have met it, if they hadn’t been, regrettably, corrupted by power and careerism. In that matter, the SPÖ with its brilliant interior ministers was an undefinable blob about which I know nothing, the ÖVP a black hole of conservativism that offends my idealism, and the FPÖ was an entity that I take great pains to avoid mentioning, in a cleverly devised strategy of strategic neglection. Were these Romanian immigrants heralding the things to come, or were they economic refugees, a term which was at the centre of the xenophobic debate at the time? I predicted incorrectly the outcome of an unimportant event, a fact that should make us sit down and meditate in awe.


0 comments:
Post a Comment

Back to Main Page
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?