<$BlogRSDURL$>

2004-07-30

How weblogs made me read the books I had always avoided 

I'm off for holidays until 15 August. I'll do my best to stay offline, so instead of reading your blog, I'll read the following titles on paper. I wanted to/should have read them earlier, but weblogs have recently reminded me. Here are my reviews before reading - another episode in my irregular series of predictions that never turn out right:

Hermann Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel (The Music Bead Game). The disciplinatory reminder was this thread [DE] with comments by ferromonte on Alban Nikolai Herbst's literary weblog. I expect an uneasy reunion with Hegelian speculation, but I'm also looking forward to a pleasant re-examination of the musical quality of Hesse's prose, now that I may be a less easy prey for the metaphysical overshoot than as a Siddharta-devouring teenager. And does it have something to do with weblogs?

Josef Haslinger, Politik der Gefühle (The Politics of Sentiment[?]). An essay from 1987 about the decay of political discourse in Austria[?]. The guilty one here is the Aardvark, who reminded me to finally read this by describing it as 'brilliant'.

Frederic Beigbeder, "99 francs", which had to be re-titled "€13,90", and which I recently bought as a pocket-book with the title "€6". I'm looking forward to an absurdly exaggerated analysis of the destructive effects of marketing on our suffering souls. Beach-read and French-brush-up. Standard online had something about a reading of Beigbeder in Vienna a while ago.


3 comments:

Hi, I've read the Beigbeder book, and it's quite interesting. A bit over the top, with a Houellebeqian style, only a bit cruder, and a bit less elegant. Check out my blog (hehe, shameless plug) www.stormgrass.com. I have incidentally just added a link to a book I rather enjoyed. Have a nice summer,
gibarian
 

Hi Gibarian, first let me correct that price, the euro-converted version is called €14,99 not €13,90, although mine was €6 as I wrote. Would this boring correction be true to the spirit of your blogging celebration of boredom? ;-) Did you think the book is actually good? It's a fast-paced read, but mostly not very original I thought. Quite the contrary of the Hesse one. If I manage to blank out the old-fashionedness there, I might eventually have some fun with that.
 

Hey Georg,

I did like that book mainly because it was fast paced. The crudeness of the book itself was the part I thought to be a bit un-original, but I did like the way the book ended. I was right on par with the narrator when it came to the uselessness of that whole business. Screw employment-figures and all that: Without the concept of ads drowning everything and everyone in bland and inane pictures, sounds and comments, the world would be a better place.

Cheers,
Gibarian
 
Post a Comment

Back to Main Page
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?