<$BlogRSDURL$>

2004-04-27

Not much about Cyprus 

One of the nice things about this blog is that I can write about things of which I have only a very faint idea. The outcome is of course questionable, but maybe a few strings can still be tied together. The Cyprus situation, especially after the failed referendum is on my mind today.

There is a post with substantial discussion in the comments on Fistful of Euros. The comments there include a link to a post that offers some inside analysis in sympathy with the Greek Cypriot government. While most other comments are rather negative about the Greek Cypriot position on this, I was rather startled by this enthusiastic support statement for the Greek Cypriots (in German) on Isenberg's Beobachtungen, which praises the Greeks for their steadfastness in the face of historic injustice. I cannot quite follow this logic, since it seems to me that in situations like this, what is needed is compromise and a certain willingness to forget in order to have a good chance for a new beginning. But as I said, I'm not an expert on Cyprus, an island with a population of less than a million people. For the new EU with its fourhundred something million citizens, it is important to find the right amount of attention and resources to spend on such locally contained problems - the balance between universal priorities and justified attention to local particularities is and remains a key challenge for this strange and growing multinational beast.


0 comments:
Post a Comment

Back to Main Page
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?